I’ve never really liked breakfast. Cereal and breads are too carby….I feel like I need a nap…. and eggs and fried meats are too greasy….. and yogurt, well only in the warmer months is that refreshing.
So I eat weird breakfast foods. Sometimes it’s leftover pork chops from the night before. And sometimes I make a meal.
Like this morning.
Ever since i saw this on one of the morning shows a few days ago I’ve had a craving.
I imagined how yummy this would be, all spicy and hot. And so I made it this morning, before the rooster crowed.
Well, that last part is not true, but I did make it.
And now so can you, with a few simple ingredients!
Spicy Thai Shrimp Soup
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass or 2 Tblspn dried lemongrass
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced thin
- 1inch piece of ginger root, sliced thin
- 2 red chiles (I used one large one), sliced
- 2 tblspn fish sauce (this can be strong so adjust to taste, but definitely use it)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced (we have an aversion to these so I left them out)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 lb large shrimp, cooked and frozen
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
Bring chicken stock to boil in soup pan over high heat. Reduce to medium and add lemongrass, garlic, ginger and red chiles. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in fish sauce and honey, add mushrooms if you are using them. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
Add lime juice and shrimp. Cook for 5 more minutes, until shrimp heated through.
Turn off heat, toss in green onion and cilantro. Ladle into bowls.